Museo de León - Edificio Pallarés
The Museo de Leon, the oldest and nurtured in the province, was founded after the confiscation nineteenth and the origin of the local archeology. Opened in 1869 in the convent of San Marcos and since then, as the only state-owned museum in León, custody, increases, researches and disseminates movable cultural heritage in public hands, which belongs to us all. In 1987 its management, like other provincial museums of the Community, was transferred to the Junta de Castilla y León.
Address: Plaza de Santo Domingo, 8 León 24002
Phone: 987 236 405
Fax: 987 221 602
From October 1st to June 30th:
- Tuesday to Saturday: from 10:00 to 14:00 h. and from 16:00 to 19:00 h.
- Sundays and holidays: from 10:00 to 14:00 h.
- Mondays closed (even Bank Holiday).
From July 1st to September 30th:
- Tuesday to Saturday: from 10:00 to 14:00 h. and from 17:00 to 20:00 h.
- Sundays and Holidays: from 10:00 to 14:00 h.
- Mondays closed (even Bank Holiday)
- Closed on December 24th and 31st.
Archeology, craftworks, other cultures, sculpture, gold and silver work.
Itinerary through the province’s history, following some of its main cultural achievements.
Pieces that cover the province’s history from the Palaeolithic to the XVIIIth Century. Epigraphic collection with memorial tablets and gravestones. Roman mosaics such as Hilas y las Ninfas, iron Roman tools, bronze, numismatic, etc.
From the Medieval Times: the Mozarab cross by Santiago de Peñalba, the Calvario románico (Romanesque Via Crucis) by Corullón and the Christ by Carrizo, made in marble (XIth Century). Gold and silverworks, furniture, enamel, etc.
The exposition is divided in 7 areas of knowledge: Prehistory, Romanization, end of the Ancient World, Middle Age, Modern Age, Contemporary World and, finally, a panoramic from the city. It has an excepcional bunch of coins and epigraphs from all kinds and ages.
- General: 1,20 Euros
- Under 25 card, people over 65 years and people under 18 years old: free
- Cultural groups: free under reservation (987 236 405)
- All week-ends, and April 23rd, May 18th, October 12th and December 6th: free