Tourism Leon.es

Palace of the Guzmáns

Headquarters of the Diputación (Provincial Government) of León.
Headquarters of the Diputación (Provincial Government) of León

Built at the orders of Juan Quiñones y Guzmán, Bishop of Calahorra, work began in 1560 under the direction of Rodrigo Gil de Hontañón. The building was acquired by the provincial government in 1882 and was enlarged in the period 1973-1976 by the architect Felipe Moreno.

Built at the orders of Juan Quiñones y Guzmán, Bishop of Calahorra, work began in 1560 under the direction of Rodrigo Gil de Hontañón. The building was acquired by the provincial government in 1882 and was enlarged in the period 1973-1976 by the architect Felipe Moreno. It is trapezoidal in shape. The first two storeys have lights protected by grilles, while the balconies of the first floor have lintels. The top storey has a gallery with little arches between Corinthian columns and large gargoyles. It has two 16th-century doorways, one of them with ionic columns flanked by two soldiers bearing the Guzmán family arms.

The ground floor overlooking the courtyard has segmental arches on ionic columns and the floor above it has basket-handle arches. There is an interesting stairway with three flights.

Booking centre

Central booking search
Open calendar (new window)

You Tube

Popular Careers

Auditorio Ciudad de León Cultural Program

León tourism

Interpretation Center Multimedia